Human teeth sparkle white and beautify the smile and whole face. They are also essential for speech and food intake. But unfortunately, teeth have to be extracted for various reasons. Accidents, diseases, and congenital problems are cited as main causes by the researchers. The missing parts have to be replaced with a prosthetic device or denture repairs and these replacements are also carried out for improved performance.
- Dentists and orthodontists rely on artificial devices as tooth replacements.
- Complete dentures are generally prescribed for older patients (above 55 years).
- Single tooth or multiple teeth can be replaced by a suitable prosthetic.
- Partial dentures are ideal substitutes if some teeth were removed by the doctor.
- Full or complete dentures are the best replacement when all the teeth are lost.
- These devices are manufactured to resemble and mimic the natural gum shape.
- They are made from pigmented acrylic and have a natural, polished look.
- The upper dentures are designed to cover the roof of a patient’s mouth.
- The spacious and U-shaped lower dentures have room for the tongue.
- Both the upper and lower prosthetic devices rest on the gum tissue.
- They are kept stable in their position by suction or by a dental adhesive.
- Denture repairs become necessary when there is discomfort or malfunction.
Patients have diverse expectations in terms of aesthetics and comfort. The dentist has to make sure that the prosthetics also satisfy functional requirements. Dentures are an effective replacement for natural gums and teeth. Denture repairs and replacements become necessary after prolonged use. New dentures are required approximately after 5 to 7 years.
Whether old or new, dentures have to possess these ideal properties for durable service:
- Fitness or suitability is obviously the most important consideration. The size, shape, and other measurements have to be perfect.
- Dentures resist movement away from the supporting gum tissue. Retention is lost if there is gradual deterioration and saliva deficiency.
- Comfort and functionality are also related to the jaw movements. Patients are not usually satisfied with lower dentures as compared to the upper ones.
- Porcelain and acrylic materials of the prosthetics are very robust. Problems and complaints are normally related to wear and tear, discomfort, and pain.
- Denture repairs are required if these desirable features are affected. Patients also worry about aesthetic modifications or facial appearance changes.
Types of Remedies
The prosthetics have to be replaced if there is damage and destruction. Deterioration, poor performance, and misalignment have to be assessed with care. The dental specialist examines the patient and suggests remedies. Denture repairs are necessitated by poor dental hygiene and changes in jaw or gum tissue. Cracks and chips also have to be fixed and sealed at the earliest. Those who neglect are susceptible to extreme pain and infections.
- Exchange – Replacement of old prosthetics with new ones is relatively simple. The patients can expect the new set of dentures in a matter of few days.
- Relining – The denture sides are in direct contact with the mouth’s soft tissue. They are resurfaced for better stability and secure fixture. The patient is able to talk or eat with greater comfort and convenience.
- Re basing – The tissue like pink, acrylic substance holds the teeth in their place. This base has to be completely remade through a rebasing procedure. The substitute teeth are arranged in this new base for more efficient functionality.
- Adjustments – The dentures rub against the gums or mouth tissue. Some sore spots cause discomfort due to friction. These denture repairs make partial adjustments only.
In a nutshell, dentures are offered in a variety of styles, but an experienced dentist will help you to find the best match for your needs.
About the Guest Contributor:
I am Emma Smith, an experienced and professional blogger. Here you can see my skills which give you small ideas on understanding all the thoughts with different themes. I love to write the blog on various topics, like home improvement, business, automotive, law etc.