Germany stays among the most popular destinations for the medical travelers in search of cancer clinics. Cancer hospitals in Germany offer precise diagnostic procedures, unique surgical interventions with impressive success rates, short periods of the inpatient stay and individual rehabilitation programs.
Germany is also valued highly for the prompt introduction of innovative medications and medical equipment into the practice. Thus, results of clinical researches are not “stored”, but are used actively for the benefit of patients. In addition, quality of the medical services is controlled constantly at the state level.
Innovations in cancer treatment
“Comprehensive” and “individual” are the two words that describe cancer treatment in Germany. German hospitals offer numerous diagnostic and treatment options, providing each patient with the most beneficial outcomes.
Few examples of medical innovations in the sphere of oncology are represented below:
- Treatment with dendritic cells. Unlike the conventional chemotherapy or other systemic treatments, dendritic cells use patient’s own immune system for fighting cancer. Dendritic cells present tumor antigens to T-cells, which are able to attack and destroy them.
- MIBG (metaiodobenzylguanidine) is used in treatment of neuroendocrine tumors, e.g. pheochromocytoma, medullary thyroid cancer, and carcinoid neoplasms. MIBG accumulates selectively in the tumor while the radioactive iodine in its composition destroys it.
- Treatment with therapeutic radionuclides. Lutetium-177 and Actinium-225 are the efficient option of the metastatic prostate cancer therapy. Accumulating in the prostate cancer metastases, Lutetium-177 and Actinium-225 destroy the secondary loci of the tumor regardless their localization in the body.
- Cancer gene therapy includes using viral and non-viral vectors (i.e. carriers) for delivering the new genetic material into the cell nucleus. This allows blocking the abnormal gene or replacing the damaged DNA.
- Targeted neurosurgery is using robotic systems (i.e. ROSA), stereotactic procedures or stereotactic radiosurgery (i.e. Gamma Knife and Cyberknife) for removing tumors and metastases in the brain. Determining the accurate coordinates of the pathological locus allows performing precise interventions with good functional outcomes.
Tumors in hard-to-reach regions, with diverse histological and genetic structure require individualized approaches. Multidisciplinary tumor boards are held regularly in German cancer clinics. This is the most reasonable and efficient way of elaborating suitable treatment scheme with consideration for all health aspects.
List of the TOP German cancer clinics
In Germany, cancer treatment is performed in all large university hospitals and in smaller academic healthcare institutions. The list of the leading ones includes:
- University Hospital Halle (Saale), Department of Hematology and Oncology.
- University Hospital Heidelberg, Department of Hematology and Oncology.
- University Hospital Würzburg, Department of Hematology, Oncology and Stem Cell Therapy.
- University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf, Department of Hematology and Oncology.
- University Hospital Bonn, Department of Oncology, Hematology, Rheumatology and Immunoncology.
A number of specialized centers should also be noted, including the Rinecker Proton Cancer Therapy Center in Munich. Such healthcare institutions offer only one of cancer treatment options, i.e. proton therapy. Proton centers operate in accordance with strict demands to the radiation protection and require specific skills from doctors.
Treating cancer abroad with Booking Health
When international patients are planning to undergo treatment in the German cancer clinics, it will be easier for them to use help Booking Health. The company Booking Health is the international operator of medical tourism with the professional ISO certification. Work of Booking Health is aimed at facilitating therapy abroad for cancer patients.
Booking Health offers assistance in such issues:
- Choosing the most suitable academic or general hospital with oncological specialization.
- Establishing distant communication with the desired physician.
- Preparing basic program for the diagnosis confirmation or therapy.
- Control of the treatment cost in Germany, excluding overpricing (saving up to 50%).
- Making the appointment in the healthcare institution.
- Monitoring the medical program additionally, by independent experts.
- Communication with the hospital after diagnostics or treatment completion.
- Arrangement of further therapy or rehabilitation, if necessary.
- Organizational services: booking accommodation and tickets, transfer, services of interpreter.
Leave your request with the medical and contact information via the “Send request” form on the Booking Health website, and company’s medical advisor will contact you the same day.