The COVID-19 pandemic has sparked a lot of uncertainty and fear all around the world. And with an on-going pandemic, our mental health, especially anxiety, can be heavily affected as our lives have been turned upside down.
People may see their anxiety worsening or becoming prominent and may turn to natural remedies such as CBD Oil, formally known as cannabidiol, for relief.
How COVID-19 Is Affecting Our Mental Health
The Centers for Disease Control and Preventions (CDC) says that the fear and anxiety that surrounds a new virus, such as Covid-19, can cause emotions to rise. And social distancing can cause an increase in loneliness and the feeling of being isolated, which can increase stress and anxiety.
When people become more stressed and anxious, the CDC, notes these are some of the symptoms they may experience.
- Fear about you and your loved one’s health
- Worrying about one’s financial situation
- Increase or decrease in sleeping and/or eating patterns
- Worsening of mental health conditions
How To Cope With the Stress and Anxiety
The CDC also gives ways one can help reduce their stress and anxiety during this pandemic.
If you are worried about getting or possibly having the virus:
- You can contact a health professional to see the steps you should take if you fear you might have Covid-19.
- Research where and how you can get treatment.
Other ways you can help your stress and anxiety is by:
- Focusing on your emotional health and find ways to help improve it.
- Trying to take news breaks. Take breaks from watching the news online, on the tv and even from reading it.
- Taking care of your body by doing deep-breathing exercises, eat healthy, sleep well, and try to exercise regularly.
- Connecting with others. Technology has allowed virtual connection to be readily available and allows friends and family to be able to stay in touch, whether it’s from down the road, or across the world.
How CBD Can Help With Anxiety
CBD has become one of the most popular alternative forms of medicine in the 21st century. People are turning to this natural oil to help with a variety of ailments, and one of the most common aspects it treats is anxiety.
Women’s Health notes, “CBD is thought to ease anxiety by helping the body process serotonin, a hormone, and neurotransmitter that plays a role in regulating emotions.” They also note that CBD acts like the serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) that are typically found in depression and anxiety medications.
GoodRx also states that “A study in 2019 used CBD to treat people who were struggling with anxiety and sleep. Almost 80% of people’s anxiety improved, and almost 70% reported improved sleep in the first month, but the results for sleep varied over time.”
Although there are studies that show CBD can help people with anxiety, especially during this pandemic, it does not mean everyone will react the same way.
It is also important to know that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved the use of CBD for anxiety. Always talk to a doctor before using CBD, especially if you are taking other medications as you may not know how they could react with the CBD.
Knowing how to cope with stress and anxiety is integral as this pandemic continues. If you are curious to see if CBD can help your anxiety, do research, and talk to your doctor and see if it can help you.