Psoriasis Causes, Symptoms, Treatments & Prevention
Psoriasis is a skin condition with affects mainly the elbows, knees and scalp. Scalp psoriasis causes hair fall and requires hair fall control treatments that might help the condition. It produces a thick layer of scaling on the skin. This treatment that inflammatory chemicals, produced by the white blood cells known as lymphocytes. Psoriasis treatment, causes, symptoms are described as follows:
Although psoriasis can happen to anybody, there are several factors that can lead to this disease:
- A family history of the skin condition.
- Viral and bacterial infections like HIV or a weak immune system.
- Stress weakens the immune system, so it is highly likely that person under stress would develop psoriasis.
- Excess weight gain increases the risk of developing the condition.
- Smoking tobacco can be extremely harmful if a person is already affected by psoriasis.
The following are several common signs of psoriasis:
- Itching, soreness and burning feeling in the skin.
- Swelling and stiffening joints.
- Thickening of the nails.
- Tiny scaly spots.
- Red patches covered with thick scales.
There are three basic treatments for psoriasis available today:
- Creams and ointments can be used. This is known as the topical therapy. It greatly helps as a hair fall solution. It includes:
- Topical corticosteroids: This treatment is used when the first symptoms of the cause is noticed.The ointment can come in the form of liquid, gel, creams or sprays. The stronger ones are used for elbows and knees while the lighter ones are used for the scalp, underarms and face if needed.
- Moisturizers that are concentrations of glycolic acid, urea, lactic acid or salicylic acid are used for the scalp area one to three times a day. Other moisturizers like Vaseline can also be used.
- Coal tar: Coal tar can be made available to use in several forms. It can be prepared including shampoos, creams and bathing solutions. Coal tar helps in decreasing the scales formed in the affected area. It also helps get rid of the odor and overall messiness created by psoriasis.
- Hair fall solution for hair loss control: There are therapies and surgical treatments that for this. The most recommended way, however, is to used creams and lotions, and take medication.
Light therapy refers to exposing the skin to UV rays on a regular basis. The key to the treatment through this method is consistently following taking the treatment.
- Artificial UVB and UVA light.
- Laser treatment.
- Tanning beds.
- Oral and injected medications: In case the condition becomes chronic it will not be cured but only controlled.
Psoriasis injections are given only in chronic cases. These injections help prevent further damage to the area. The treatment includes:
- Drugs that alter immune system.
- Thioguanine and hydroxyurea.
There are some risks or side effects of psoriasis injection treatment. The side effects are:
- Blood disorders.
- Increased risk of skin-related cancers.
- Risk of respiratory infections.
- Risk of nervous system disorders, and seizures.
- Skin reactions such as swelling, redness and itchiness.
- Multiple sclerosis and nervous system inflammations.
I hope you found this article to be interesting and informative.
Have a question or concern? Leave a message below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.