Top 10 Natural Home Remedies For A Toothache
I recently received a new guest post on the top 10 natural home remedies for a toothache. Continue reading to check it out….
What Are Toothaches Like?
Toothaches can cause a mild pain or an unbearable throbbing soreness in the teeth or around the jaws. The main reasons for toothaches are an infection, cavities, an exposed tooth root, gum disease, a cracked tooth, jaw joint disorder, or a loose filling. You can experience a toothache when the central area of the tooth, called the pulp, gets inflamed or irritated. The pulp contains several nerve endings which are very sensitive.
If you suffer from a toothache, you should seek immediate help from a dentist before this problem becomes worse.
Consider Our Top 10 Natural Home Remedies For A Toothache
You may also try some of the natural home remedies to reduce the pain temporarily:
1. Ice Cubes
Ice helps to numb the nerve endings, thus reducing the pain caused due to a toothache.
- Wrap an ice cube in a cotton cloth. Then, hold it on the cheek near your aching tooth for several minutes. In case, you have exposed nerves, contacting with the cold may cause more pain.
Or, an acupressure technique that rubs an ice cube between the index finger & thumb for several minutes can reduce the tooth pain.
2. Vanilla Extract
Another home remedy for a toothache is vanilla extract because it helps to numb the pain. In addition, the vanilla also contains a calming effect that helps to reduce the pain.
- Dip a clean cotton swab in the vanilla extract and then dab it on your affected tooth. Repeat this method a few times per day until you relieve the pain.
3. Warm Salt Water
Being one of the best home remedies for gingivitis, warm salt water can also help to treat a toothache effectively.
- Simply, mix half one tablespoon of common salt in one glass of hot water. Then, rinse your mouth thoroughly with this solution.
It will aid in reducing the swelling and inflammation as well as fight the bacteria causing infection.
Onions are comprised of antimicrobial & antiseptic properties that help to manage a toothache. It may give you relief from pain caused due to a toothache by killing the germs that cause an infection.
- When you have the first signs of a toothache, you should chew raw onion for several minutes to reduce the pain. If you cannot chew it, put a raw onion piece directly on your bad tooth or gum.
5. Garlic Remedy
Using garlic can also help you to get instant relief from a toothache. Garlic consists of antibiotic and some other medicinal properties that are very effective in relieving the pain.
- Combine a crushed garlic clove with black salt or table salt and then apply it directly to the affected tooth to reduce the pain. Or, you can also chew 1 or 2 garlic cloves to get relief. Follow this natural remedy for a few days.
6. Salt And Pepper
Salt combined with pepper is also one of the great treatments when a tooth is extremely sensitive because these ingredients consist of antibacterial, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mix equal parts of common salt and pepper with some drops of water to make a paste. Then, apply this paste directly to the affected tooth and let it sit for several minutes. Follow this method daily for a few days.
Cloves contain anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial, and anesthetic properties that aid in reducing tooth pain and fighting an infection.
- Grind 2 whole cloves. Then, mix it with a little olive oil and apply this to the affected tooth.
- Or, dab a cotton pad in clove oil and then rub it directly on your sore tooth. Another option, you may mix some drops of clove oil with 1/2 glass of water and rinse your mouth with this.
Using asafoetida can effectively help to deal with many dental problems such as bleeding gums and toothaches.
- Simply, add 1/2 teaspoon or a pinch of powdered asafetida to 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Then, warm it slightly. Now, use a cotton ball to apply this solution to the affected area. This gives you a quick relief from the tooth pain.
- Or, you can put the asafoetida fried in the clarified butter in the tooth cavity to get an instant relief.
9. Guava Leaves
Guava leaves contain anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and analgesic properties that can help to relieve a toothache.
- Simply, chew 1 or 2 tender guava leaves till the juice begins working on your affected tooth. You may also use fresh spinach leaves in a similar way.
- Or, put 4 to 5 guava leaves in clean water and then boil it. Then, allow this solution to cool down and add some salt to it. Use this solution as a natural mouthwash.
10. Wheatgrass Juice
Wheatgrass contains natural antibacterial effects that will help to treat tooth decay and reduce a toothache. Extract the juice from wheatgrass and then use it as a natural mouthwash. It absorbs toxins from your gums, reduces the development of bacteria, and keeps an infection under control. If possible, you may chew on wheatgrass.
Here are a few natural home remedies for a toothache that you can try. Apart from trying these remedies, remember to consult a dentist. Some dental & gum issues require more aggressive treatment rather than home remedies.
About the Author
This guest post is by Nga Do, a beauty and health blogger with many years of experience on searching the effective remedies for skin & hair care and health problems.
I hope that you found this article to be informative and interesting.
Have a question, comment, or concern? Leave a message below, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.