My post regarding Xlear’s nasal spray as well as my favorite xylitol sugar product emphasized the fact that the key ingredient in the spray is xylitol. Here’s a brief review of the effectiveness of the xylitol health benefits:
- Xylitol is an all natural sugar alcohol found in fruits and vegetables, and it is produced minimally by the human body.
- It’s the main ingredient in Xlear’s nasal spray.
- It actually cleans, moisturizes, and rinses away nasal congestion.
- It’s also able to totally wipe away other pollutants and allergy causing substances that may also be in your nasal passages.
- Xylitol is also used to make healthier alternatives for toothpastes, sweeteners, and other products as well.
During the past several decades, ALOT of research has been carried out to test the effectiveness of xylitol in treating nasal, dental, and other health issues.
Astonishingly, the majority of research validates xylitol health products and has even recommended its usage in these items over today’s more conventional products.
Here is some of the research that has shown xylitol’s usefulness in overall healthcare:
Researchers: Ly, Milgrom, Rothen, Marilynn
Publication: Pediatric Dentistry
Participants: The authors of this article wrote a review of all of the research until their present date  in which they reviewed all clinical trials and research on the efficacy of xylitol
toothpastes and sweeteners in dental care. They also reviewed other similar sweeteners.
Results: Based on the above mentioned extensive research, the research authors concluded that xylitol is proven to be effective in destroying the unclean bacteria found in plaque and saliva that leads to tooth decay, as well as in fighting cavities.
They also strongly encouraged clinicians and dentists to use and promote xylitol products, due to its dental effectiveness.
Researchers: Joseph Zabner, Michael P. Seiler, Janice L. Launspach, Philip H. Karp, William R. Kearney, Dwight C. Look, Jeffrey J. Smith, and Michael J. Welsh
Participants: 21 healthy people. 10 men and 11 women aged between 20-52 years.
Results: After conducting a 4 day, randomized, double-blind trial in which both a regular saline spray and a xylitol spray were used to combat nasal congestion in both nostrils of each participant was sprayed, the study found that the xylitol spray better relieved nasal congestion than the regular saline spray.
Researchers: Renowned medical microbiologist Carolyn Pierini, CLS CNC
Participants: Clinical reviews of several studies and dental research journals
Results: Based on her research and finings, Pierini concluded the following regarding xylitol:
- Significantly prevents plaque and dental cavities by 80%
- Strengthens tooth enamel
- Increases saliva production
- Relieves dry mouth
- Protects salivary proteins, has a protein-stabilizing effect
- Improves breath odor
- Reduces infections in the mouth and nasopharynx
- Excellent taste and sweetness
- Low calorie
- Very low glycemic index
- Minimal effect on blood sugar and insulin levels
- Major energy booster
- Lowers serum free fatty acid levels and improves peripheral glucoseutilization
- Promotes absorption of Vitamin B and calcium
- Lowers the urging for eating carbs and binge eating
- Aids in physical endurance and weight loss
Her sources are included in there as well.
Dr. Devin McClean is a well known holistic physician and chiropractor who recommends xylitol for nasal congestion, especially Xlear’s nasal spray:
Researchers: Joshua D. Weissman MD, Francisca Fernandez MD and Peter H. Hwang MD
Publication: The Laryngoscope
Participants: 20 patients participated in a “randomized, double-blinded, controlled crossover pilot study.” The study compared the efficacy of xylitol nasal sprays vs regular saline nasal sprays.
Results: After 10 days of clinical trials, the xylitol participants experienced tremendous nasal relief from the xylitol, unlike their saline counterparts who actually felt worse. One xylitol patient experienced very minor, temporary stinging sensations in the nose.
Summary: Xylitol Health Benefits Are Real
There is a lot of research to prove that xylitol is healthy for you and it has a lot of health benefits, no matter how you use it.