Yoga has been used for thousands of years as a form of meditation. For adults and seniors, it offers significant health benefits that make it an ideal form of exercise, especially for those living with chronic health conditions, joint pain, and mental health disorders.
A Place for Mom has outlined some of the best yoga poses anyone can do to improve their health and wellbeing. Check out the infographic below or continue reading to learn about how yoga can help you manage your health as you age.
The Health Benefits of Yoga
There are many reasons why yoga is beneficial, but when it comes to the aging process, there are a few key benefits that make it an ideal form of exercise.
- Lung function: Deep breathing is often used in tandem with yoga. For those who include breathing exercises during practice, yoga has been found to improve respiratory function.
- Blood pressure: Hypertension is a common concern for aging adults. Yoga has been found to reduce oxidative stress, an underlying cause of high blood pressure.
- Joint health: With over 20% of Americans living with arthritis, joint pain and stiffness is common. Yoga can help to reduce pain associated with conditions like arthritis while improving mobility and flexibility.
- Sleep: For those living with insomnia, yoga has been found to improve sleep quality. In fact, long-term yoga practice has been found in some cases to reduce the frequency of insomnia.
- Mental health: Over half of adults over age 55 live with some mental health condition. Due to yoga’s restorative elements, it can drastically improve mental health for those who practice regularly.
Before beginning any exercise program or changing your lifestyle, it’s important to consult a medical professional. While yoga is a low-impact exercise, there is always the risk of injury in any activity.