Looking for effective and natural home remedies for gastritis pain?
Acute or chronic gastritis is a common digestive problem that affects the lining of the stomach.
In more detail, on the lining of the stomach, there is an enzyme known as pepsin used to break down protein and the glands producing stomach acid used to digest food. At the same time, your stomach lining produces mucus that helps to keep the acidic juice in the digestive tract from harming your stomach.
When you suffer from gastritis, this means that the intestinal mucosa is inflamed, resulting in fewer enzymes, less mucus, and less stomach acid. In fact, it is quite easy to notice some symptoms of this issue.
However, many people suffering from this condition don’t show any sign. Gastritis has some of the common symptoms such as lack of appetite, burning sensation in the stomach and heart, vomiting and nausea, bloating, dark stools, pain and fullness feeling in the upper belly or abdomen, especially after meals.
This problem can result from certain medicines such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and other pain relievers, bacteria called Helicobacter Pylori, excessive alcohol consumption, aging, stress & autoimmune disorders, viral infection, and cocaine abuse.
My Top 10 Effective & Natural Home Remedies for Gastritis Pain
Here are top 12 natural home remedies for gastritis pain that you should follow to manage this stomach problem and improve your health.
Ginger is considered a super herb that helps to deal with most of the gastritis cases unless your issue is too serious, requiring an urgent medical attention. You can ingest this herb in the form of tea or powder to immensely treat gastritis.
It contains natural anti-inflammatory & anti-bacterial properties that aid in reducing irritation of the oesophagus as well as the inner lining of your stomach. It also helps to kill bacteria that may cause your gastric issue.
To reap the best results, you should chew a chunk of fresh ginger after washing it with clean water. You may also boil water and milk in 5:1 ratio with some ginger pieces and drink this water.
Another option, you can take a cocktail of ginger powder, asafoetida, and rock salt in one cup of lukewarm water. Consume this concoction to get instant relief from gastritis.
One of other natural home remedies for gastritis pain is to drink chamomile tea. It is comprised of certain essential oils beneficial for your digestive system. In addition, it can also soothe the intestinal walls, which will give you relief from pains and eliminate gas. Also, it may reduce inflammation in the stomach and thus lower the chance of getting ulcers.
- Firstly, take 1 tablespoon of dried chamomile flowers and add it to one cup of hot water.
- Then, cover and let it steep for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Next, strain and add honey to it.
- Finally, drink this tea a few times per day for one week.
Note: Avoid boiling this herb because this will destroy the active compounds of this herb.
It is important for you to add yogurt to your daily diet, especially when you are suffering from gastritis. The active live cultures in this dairy product are particularly beneficial in treating this issue.
The probiotics found in yogurt are very effective in protecting your stomach lining from Helicobacter pylori bacteria causing gastritis. In addition, yogurt also aids in making your immune system stronger to fight off infection faster.
- Simply, eat 2 or 3 cups of plain yogurt daily.
- You may also try a smoothie made from yogurt, banana, and honey. Consume it two or three times per day for a quick recovery.
4. Potato Juice
Using potato juice is possibly one of the weirdest home remedies for gastritis, but it actually contains essential nutrients that aid you in digesting properly and reducing problems related to gastritis.
It is rich in alkaline salts that react with the excessive acid in your stomach. However, you should only take the juice from fresh potatoes.
You may peel and grate some potatoes and then squeeze out the juice. Drink one glass of this juice combined with lukewarm water to get rid of the digestive problems such as gastritis.
It may also reduce constipation and cleanse your liver.
Peppermint contains natural antibacterial, antispasmodic, and anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, it is widely used to treat many beauty and health problems. In the case of gastritis, it is able to reduce the symptoms such as indigestion, inflammation, vomiting and nausea, and heartburn.
- You may consume peppermint tea for 3 to 4 times per day or chew fresh peppermint leaves.
- Another option, you may also add peppermint to your daily diet.
6. Carom Seeds
Carom seeds are considered as a natural antacid that is used to give you a quick relief from the symptoms of gastritis like bloating, nausea, vomiting, and indigestion. Therefore, you should take advantage of these seeds to create a natural treatment of this issue.
- Firstly, mix one teaspoon of dried ginger and 1 teaspoon of carom seeds with a bit of black salt. After that, consume one teaspoon of this mixture along with one glass of lukewarm water for about 3 times per day.
- Another option, add one teaspoon of powdered carom seeds and half a teaspoon of black salt into one glass of buttermilk. Consume it for 2 times per day.
- You may also boil two cups of clean water with four teaspoons of carom seeds till the water reduces by half. Next, strain this mixture and consume half a cup of it for 2 times per day.
Follow one of the above home remedies until the symptoms of gastritis go away.
7. Fennel seeds
These seeds help to treat various discomfort related to gastritis very effectively.
You may roast a handful of these seeds and chew them well after a meal. You may also add one teaspoon of fennel seeds to a cup of clean water and then boil it. Simmer it for several minutes and allow the seeds to steep in this water. When it is cool completely, drink this infusion.
If you feel that the taste of infusion is a little sharp, you may add 1/2 teaspoon of honey or jaggery to it before drinking.
Lemon contains an excellent source of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties. Hence, you can use lemon to make a remedy for gastritis to manage this condition by relieving inflammation and some other symptoms of gastritis, such as vomiting and nausea.
- Simply consume lemon juice every day in 7 days
- You may also add salt or honey to enhance the taste
- Avoid over consumption of lemon because it may cause side effect for your problem
Strawberries may also be useful in healing gastritis thanks to their antioxidant properties and high sources of phenolic compounds. In addition, it can aid in preventing the beginning of inflammation in your stomach lining.
According to a study in 2011, European researchers confirmed that regular intake of strawberries may help to reduce the harm which alcohol causes to your stomach mucus membrane.
- Add one tablespoon of dried leaves of strawberry to one cup of hot water. Allow it to steep for 5 minutes and then strain. Consume it for 2 or 3 times per day until the symptoms of gastritis subside completely.
- To prevent this problem, eat strawberries daily.
Licorice contains soothing & anti-inflammatory properties that help you to fight against the symptoms of gastritis effectively. Only a very short time after utilizing licorice, you may easily get rid of the symptoms of gastritis such as indigestion, heartburn, etc.
- Firstly, put one teaspoon of licorice powder into one cup of hot water
- Next, wait for 10 minutes and then strain it
- Drink this solution for 2 to 3 times per day to reduce the symptoms quickly
Here are a few of natural home remedies for gastritis that you should try right now!
This guest post is by Hang Pham, a blogger with over 10 years of experience on searching the effective remedies for skin care and health problems.